What is Wheat Straw Plastic?
The newest eco-friendly material is wheat straw plastic, a brilliant, environmentally friendly option to plastic. It's made of the highest quality food-grade materials and has been verified by the FDA. Wheat straw plastic is a fantastic substitute for standard plastic because of its low environmental impact. It is made from a by-product of wheat production, namely wheat straw. Wheat straw plastic is produced by collecting waste wheat straw, chopping it up into small pieces then mixing it with natural polymers like corn starch.
What is Wheat Straw Plastic and is it Eco Friendly?
So what is wheat straw material? Wheat is a type of grain that is used to make flour, bread, and wheat derived products like pasta. Straw is the byproduct that is left over after the wheat harvest, and by using it to make a plastic like substance, it is an ideal zero waste option.
Wheat straw contains cellulose and by breaking it down, a new product can be created. The process creates the opportunity to make different kinds of polymers. Natural polymers are found in our bodies, like hair and nails. Plastic is made from artificial polymers, but polymers created from wheat straw, are completely natural.
How is Wheat Straw Plastic Made?
Straw is the by-product of wheat harvest and contains lignin. Ligins are what keep plants standing up - similar to a tree trunk but smaller in size! When combined with sugar it can be turned into bio plastic that will never go bad or break down over time like other materials do when exposed to sunlight ligned straw: Plastics made from leftover crops such as straw after harvesting grains like corn (or rice). It has been estimated there could Be nearly 400 million tons worth annually waiting just in the US.
First, the lignin needs to be broken down to be able to make the plastic like material. Lignin is broken down by bacteria called Rhodococcus jostii, which is found in soil. The bacteria can produce acid, which easily breaks down the lignin without the use of any artificially produced products, which is far better for the environment.
Once the lignin has been broken down, it is mixed with sugar to form a plastic-like substance. This is then molded into forms like plates, cups, and storage containers.
Wheat straw is also used to create a paper like substance that is used to make products. With the addition of certain chemicals, the straw is turned into a pulp, and the pulp is then pressed into a plate. It is strong, non-allergenic, and does not contain any gluten.
This process is not limited to wheat straw only, other agricultural waste products like grass, leaves, and even wood, can also be used, thereby producing an all natural plastic.
Wheat Straw Plastic vs Other Materials
This eco-friendly material has been recognized by both individuals and entire countries for its importance in keeping our Earth safe. The role wheat straw plastic plays in protecting our planet is significant - with it shattering the stigma associated with using products made from this source. One of the most important benefits worth sharing is that these plastics are completely biodegradable, containing none of the harmful toxins found in regular plastic products . With eco-friendly awareness on the rise, wheat straw plastic will continue to prove itself worthy of attention across all industries. It's truly amazing what companies are coming up with in order to share their product, but also help our planet.
What is it used for?
Wheat straw plastic can be fully customized to meet the needs of literally any kind of industry or organization. This eco-friendly material is not only environmentally responsible; it's extremely versatile and can be implemented into a large number of products and services. The foremost reason why this material has become such a success over time is that it serves as an inexpensive option that produces reliable results. It can hold both hot and cold liquids and foods and will likely last years without breaking down.
The appearance may be slightly different than regular plastic products, but regardless - wheat straw plastic does exactly what we need it to do. The best part about wheat straw plastic is that it's been used to create a variety of amazing products from straws, utensils and plates - to entire furniture sets.
Perks and Benefits of Wheat Straw Plastic
- It is completely biodegradable and will decompose in 3 to 6 months in your own compost and 1 to 2 months at a local municipal compost facility.
- Wheat straw is biodegradable and environmentally friendly. These goods are completely natural, indicating that they can decompose and be used as fertilizer.
- Gluten free.
- Easy to clean, sturdy, and strong.
- Microwave and freezer safe.
- Without odor and will not go moldy.
- They can also be turned back into pulp by melting them and creating different products again and again.
- To create wheat straw, energy is needed. The manufacturing of phony plastic consumes a significant amount of energy and produces a lot of carbon dioxide emissions. Because wheat straw is natural, it requires significantly less energy to make pulp than artificial plastic does.
- The natural fibers help to make the cloth durable without requiring harmful chemicals such as oil.
- An additional source of income for the wheat farmers as they can sell the byproducts for a reasonable price.
- Waste disposal is reduced and no need to burn the straw which further adds to air pollution.
- It can handle hot liquids up to 100°Celsius / 220°Farenheit
- Conform to Food and Drug Administration guidelines.
Finally, because wheat straw can be used to make paper, we may save our forests at the same time. The wheat straw substance may be used to manufacture disposable plates and cups instead of cutting down trees. However, rather than using timber waste, use agricultural waste as an alternative. Greenware plant fiber blend containers are constructed with a combination of wheat straw and wood fiber.
Points to remember about Wheat Straw Plastic
- Keep away from fire and don’t expose to sunlight for extended periods.
- Although it can be used in the microwave, do not heat food in there for longer than 3 minutes as the heat of the actual food could damage the container.
- Do not put the lid or cutlery in the microwave.
- Open the sealing plug when heating in the microwave.
- Dishwasher safe but recommended to hand wash the lids to keep the seal intact.
Wheat Straw Plastic Kitchenware
One of the biggest areas where wheat straw plastic has become popular, is kitchenware. The new age emphasis on consuming fresh ingredients and cooking our own edibles has led to a call for eco-friendly materials that will not only help us eat healthily, but build a better future at the same time. Companies have noticed this trend and are manufacturing eco-friendly options, starting with their storage containers.
All consumers care about what they're putting into their bodies - regardless of whether they're buying food or any other type of material.
Wheat Straw Cutlery Set
The Basic Goods Trading Company offers an affordable way to live a more eco-conscious life. You don't need to worry about food safety with these reusable wheat straw spoons, forks, and knives; they're dishwasher safe! With the Basic Goods cutlery set you can feed your family, have picnics, or pack lunches without worrying about using plastic items that won't decompose in our landfills. Why not give something this beautiful but functional as a gift for any occasion?
- Set includes knife, fork, and spoon
- 100% biodegradable
- Super easy to clean
- Portable - Bring it to your picnics!